Skip to main content

sanctuary

Photo courtesy of Tess Kincaid for Magpie Tales

I always end up at Gate of Heaven
after the pub, but before dinner
drownin' in liquid amnesia
it's safer under the oaks
away from them and selfishly envious of
feckin' Able Moore.

Lucky bastard, dying like he did
war hero, soldier, saint
not a livin', sufferin' forgotten,
faceless sonofabitch
bummin' cigarettes
from snot nosed brats at the Seven Eleven

Remember me?
I didn't always run
and hide on the Fourth of July
pissin' myself in terror
Tell me
Don't you goddamn
remember me?

I don't feckin' care if you don't
But oh my Jesus,
don't you forget to remember me, Able
when I come into your kingdom
don't you dare, man
don't you goddamn dare

Rene ~ November 2011
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is often suffered silently.
Click here for more information.




Comments

  1. What a gift! This is an amazing Magpie.

    Yes, PTSD devastates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Rene- You've always had a way with words... through the many years that I have been reading your works, you always come through! I saw the man in my mind as I read each word, asking, "Do you remember me?" The attitude, his posture and eyes of wonder...
    Much Peace & Blessings dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write the way real folk talk, Rene. excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. evocative rene...when i come into your kingdom is a nice summation...strong voice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Touching but not sentimental - I like this very much. Every word seems right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When Able comes to the table
    may we all be there!
    Excellent. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. and as Sasha would say, "Holla, baby!"



    holla indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PTSD is no joke. Really nice take on the prompt, dearie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good suprise at the end.

    One of my favorite books is Spoon River Anthology. It's really one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If truth be known........that was right up my dead-end street!! You got my No1 vote so far, missus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Don't forget to remember"

    Quite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh, Rene. You just keep getting better.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful write and agree, don't forget to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good work here, Rene. A problem too many people are too able to look anywhere but at.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed this... you really got into the character which in turn got me into the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rene you do have an amazing talent....love your fresh take on the prompt!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent Rene and a worthy illustration of PTSD.

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Rene
    In some simple day to day words, you have painted an emotional picture... thanks for sharing...

    Shashi
    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/2011/11/whispers-tears-in-rain.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please drop a penny in a poet's hat :

Popular posts from this blog

natasha

There was a haunting beauty behind her eyes, beyond her sorrow, a beauty that found its way into one’s heart and led them home.