Skip to main content

The Sum Of Her Seashells



sugar frosted feet
sun kissed knees
freckled faces
saying cheeeese!
families on the beach
under umbrellas
building sandcastles
for Cinderella

some folks bring everything
but the kitchen sink
we just bring towels
 oranges and sunscreen
and something to drink
y'know oranges taste better
 sitting on the beach
 nothing more delicious
except maybe a peach

the water beckons bathers
with her salty hello's
" why don't you come a little closer,
let me tickle your toes."
her tidal aroma
through my senses does swirl
ahhhh...the breath of life
my spine uncurls

i listen to her many voices
a roar
a whisper
a chantey
a crash
a giggle
 a taunt
a happy puddle splash

we lug around buckets of seashells
growing too heavy to hold
can't we throw some back?
No!
each one of them is gold

we sit on our towels
as we count up our treasures
an infinite number
of simple pleasures
among them
sun, sand and water
but the greatest
is this time together
just me and my daughter.


Peace - Rene

all words and images by rene 2009

Comments

  1. sounds like a beautiful day at the beach...and yes fruit does taste better in the fresh salty air...

    ReplyDelete
  2. the best of days
    the simple ones
    where our hearts are singing
    and our worries are few

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gold, baby, pure gold...and peachy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, so good. Had a kind of melody to it, like Twas the Night Before Christmas or some Dr. Seuss.

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an incredible post. Beautiful, just beautiful.

    This is Jessica from Bernthis. Blogspot. won't let me leave a comment under my blog name they insist on putting my daughter's blog name instead so from now on until I decided whether or not to delete hers, I will be commenting as phobesprettypictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me want to skip out on work and drive to the beach....don't tell my boss!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. A playful poem for a wonderful adventure. I remember those days when my daughter was younger and we played at the beach like that. Now we just seriously walk along with heads down, looking for shells or other treasures. Sigh. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful poem! I loved the "surprise" ending that almost made me cry - in a good way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No wonder I couldn't find any...you guys took all the seashells...haha!

    LUV this one, Rene!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful poem. Beautiful images. Beautiful thought.

    And it makes me mis the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your word play,
    fantastic beach experience,
    cool flow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so very much for linking up with us...love your delicious poetry and hope that you enjoy some work near your own entry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful time with daughter and what a wonderful picture.. i can relate to all that gold that you throw out of the bucket...I enjoyed the picnic..

    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    Twitter: @VerseEveryDay
    Blog: http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please drop a penny in a poet's hat :

Popular posts from this blog

natasha

There was a haunting beauty behind her eyes, beyond her sorrow, a beauty that found its way into one’s heart and led them home.