Skip to main content

sacred

when you fell
from 
your mother
you were the apple
of her eye

such a dear
beloved 
little babe
black thorns twisting
in your cry

and squirming
fertile,
wild agendas
taking
seed inside

the walls
could never
hold you back
damned,
if they didn't try

your momma 
prayed for you,
singing
all through 
the night

you grew tall
in the 
sunshine
picking diamonds
from the ire

a fearless
reckless,
streetwise lamb
braiding rattlers
into wire

your bleeding
sacred,
burnished heart
pulsed red hot
open fire

the walls
could never
hold you back
damned, 
if they didn't try

your momma 
prayed for you,
singing
all through 
the night


Rene ~ December 13, 2012
For 100 Word Song
and Meeting the Bar



Comments

  1. nice...lyrical...i like how empowering it is....i think all parents want our kids to do well and when they do its an amazing thing to watch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me a well written lyric. This sings perfect. Such images with so many turns, I like the perspective. Excellente!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Rene. I read this layered poem, laced with biblical references...each child an incarnation of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "the walls could never hold you back
    damned if they didn't try"

    Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...very nice imagery and choice of words... well arranged and well toned to give a strong impact... enjoyed reading it... smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, the things that can be accomplished when momma prays

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this very much, Rene...as I read it aloud. Beautiful flow, wording, repetition! Prayer CAN bring about results! Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, kids leaving home. Parents keep praying. If only prayers worked.
    Children massacred in Connecticut today. Ouch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aggressive writing. Wonderful choice of words to describe the joys of birth and of growing up. Nicely Rene!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sadly fitting for this week. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice. I really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! perfectly written.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard the strongest prayers of all are those of mothers for their children. I believe it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please drop a penny in a poet's hat :

Popular posts from this blog

don't tread on me

she's still not over the fact that  she is under the ground she speaks in rattly, clattery hissing  voices whenever they come around "I'll reach right up and turn your ankles you unforgivable gits,  for burying me,  prematurely,  over a spell of the coughing fits" so angry with her new residence and  bored a deeper shade of blue she's knocked over her marble marker and broken it clean in two. Boo! ~ Rene 2010 To join Magpie Tales click HERE For another take on this magpie please check out  "The Song Of The Stone Healer"

waiting for the boss

this is the story of a girl who lived in the basement of the girl next door sheltered in the confines of a  suburban tract house dungeon; her punishment for runnin' wild with dreams half unlatched she ran like a spirit in the night from those badlands wind blowin' through her hair shielding her eyes from the blinding light she hugged onto a shoreline of hope someday soon, she's not sure when her savior will rise up from the streets with an armload of rain soaked roses and second chances Rene ~ 2010 Click  Here   to join Magpie Tales creative writing group .