Skip to main content

stickin' the landing's the hardest part


Slippery Rock ~ Rene 2009

higher
higher
giggles
stirring the air
like
ice cubes
 in lemonade
outstretched
 red mary janes
frantically
 kicking clouds
farther
farther
to destinations
 in need of shower
curious hands
gripping chains
tighter
tighter
eyes full of
daring
squinting
winking jokingly
into the sun
patches of freckles
blooming
merrily along
"I'm singing about swinging!"
"I'm singing about flying!"
reaching altitude
amazing
pit of the stomach
dropping
feeling
eyes
closing
 courageous heart
pounding
anxious hands
pulling back
loosening grip
breaking free
letting go
leaping
soaring
smiling
touching down
landing
laughing
"I'm alive!"

Peace ~ Rene

Comments

  1. That's how my cousin broke her arm in grade school. She wasn't much for the landing.

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. any landing you can live from, its a good one. smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! The songs we sang while we swung!

    :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, for reading and commenting on a re-run...a girl needs to take a break every now and then :)

    Pearl, I think you and I would have been swingin' and singin' at the top of our lungs if we were neighbors growing up.

    Casey, I thought about your cousin while putting this up and I figured she was OK now. I hope :)

    Sharp eyed Brian even remembered the original title :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, Rene! For me, it wasn't a re-run. I knew it was about swinging, but when I read the title, all I could think of was my daughter years ago performing gymnastics routines, and sticking the landing was sometimes the hardest part, and always the most anticipated. When are you going to compile your wonderful poetry into a book? Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ginny, I'm working on it...there's just a lot of "housekeeping and tidying up" that has to be done first

    But you'll be one the first to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girls laugh, sing songs, and stick the landing. Guys throw footballs, dirt clods, and bean cans at each other and then bail out when supper's ready, often landing in a heap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its not the fall that hurts, its the sudden stop!

    "its ok, the ground broke my fall"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure remember the feeling of flying oh so well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been so good at the landing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, the life of a swinger.

    Er, this is the purest way to enjoy life. Makes me want to head to the nearest playground.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please drop a penny in a poet's hat :

Popular posts from this blog

natasha

There was a haunting beauty behind her eyes, beyond her sorrow, a beauty that found its way into one’s heart and led them home.