Skip to main content

like a child




he spit
in the dirt
and told her
if she were
 blind
rubbing the mud
 in her eyes
would
 make
 her
 see
how can that be?
she laughed.
my grandma told me,
he assured, confidently
she read it to me
from her 
big brown storybook
the one she uses
 with her 
magic beads
what makes it work?
she asked him
the spit
 or 
the dirt?
i think
 you need them both
 together
he said
do you think
 it's true
 like it will really
for sure work?
she asked
 eyes wide
 searching
i don't know for certain,
 he said
 but
sometimes
 you just gotta
 tell yourself
it will
cuz that's when it
 does...
y'know, believin',
he said, whispering
i wonder if
 it can work
on sadness,
 she asked
because
 i have some
in my heart
that i would like
 to go
away
...


let's try it
and
 tell ourselves
that it 
will work,
he said


no
she said
let's both
believe 
that it will...


peace - rene 2009

Comments

  1. Wow.

    That's one of the best things I've read in a very long time.

    Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done. great message, great control.

    I love the idea of the big brown storybook and the magic beads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gave me images of Harper Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So quiet, so understated, and so capable of bringing tears to my eyes. You've really got a way of writing that more people should know about.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ending....or should I say, "beginning?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww.

    What Pearl said.

    Once again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful.
    i could see it.
    the dirt the spit and all.


    like the new pic by the way.
    liked to old one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. excellence...
    the notion (which i believe in)
    and your writing!

    peace~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Well written. Can I read it to my 4th grade Sunday School class?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is exceptional writing Rene.
    Thanks.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done, Rene. And I love the new photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply beautiful, Rene.
    Love it.

    (How do you do it?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. aaawww...! I love this--so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love this.

    seriously.

    and that bunny is ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are brilliant! The imagery in this is crisp, concise and profound!!! I'm in awe! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, everyone
    this was inspired by a conversation between two kids in my class about the power of believing in something...I truly love being a "fly on the wall" during these times...the purest kind of faith. :)

    Once again, Thank you
    And that picture is of Mary, on a farm in Westboro, MA. One of the local children invited Mary over to play with her rabbits.

    Peace~Rene

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please drop a penny in a poet's hat :

Popular posts from this blog

natasha

There was a haunting beauty behind her eyes, beyond her sorrow, a beauty that found its way into one’s heart and led them home.